/ˈkælkjuleɪtɪd/
past participle calculated
/ˈkælkjuleɪtɪd/
/ˈkælkjuleɪtɪd/
-ing form calculating
/ˈkælkjuleɪtɪŋ/
/ˈkælkjuleɪtɪŋ/
jump to other results
    to use numbers to find out a total number, amount, distance, etc. synonym work out
    • calculate something An independent valuer will calculate the value of your property.
    • That figure was calculated using the standard equation.
    • Use the formula to calculate the volume of the container.
    • We haven’t really calculated the cost of the vacation yet.
    • Benefit is calculated on the basis of average weekly earnings.
    • calculate something from something Expected cancer rates were calculated from data from the eight surrounding counties.
    • calculate something by something The daily doses were calculated by a somewhat simpler method.
    • calculate something by doing something The ratio is calculated by dividing a company's share price by its earnings per share.
    • calculate how much, what, etc. You'll need to calculate how much time the assignment will take.
    • it is calculated that… It has been calculated that at least 47 000 jobs were lost last year.
    • be calculated at… The sum involved was calculated at $82 million.
    Extra Examples
    • It's difficult to calculate precisely what we've spent.
    • The amount is calculated according to the number of years you have paid into the plan.
    Topics Maths and measurementb2
    Oxford Collocations Dictionaryadverb
    • accurately
    • exactly
    • precisely
    preposition
    • according to
    • at
    See full entry
  2. to guess something or form an opinion by using all the information available synonym estimate
    • calculate that… Conservationists calculate that hundreds of species could be lost in this area.
    • calculate how much, what, etc. It is impossible to calculate what influence he had on her life.
    • calculate something It's impossible to calculate the extent of his influence on her.
    Extra Examples
    • Calculating that he would not be home yet, I slipped in through the back door.
    • Environmentalists calculate that hundreds of plant species may be affected.
    • I tried to calculate how much time it would take me to get there.
    Topics Opinion and argumentc1, Doubt, guessing and certaintyc1
    Oxford Collocations Dictionaryadverb
    • carefully
    • shrewdly
    • correctly
    See full entry
  3. Word Originlate Middle English: from late Latin calculat- ‘counted’, from the verb calculare, from calculus ‘a small pebble (as used on an abacus)’.
随便看

英语词典包含84843条英英释义在线翻译词条,基本涵盖了全部常用单词的英英翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/9/22 5:36:50