Rupert House

Rupert House,

village, W Que., Canada, on the Rupert River east of its mouth on James Bay. It was founded in 1668 as Charles Fort by the trader des GroseilliersGroseilliers, Médard Chouart, sieur des
, 1618?–c.1690, French trader and explorer in North America. He was the brother-in-law of Pierre Esprit Radisson and his companion in his great journeys.
..... Click the link for more information.
, whose success there led to the incorporation of the Hudson's Bay CompanyHudson's Bay Company,
corporation chartered (1670) by Charles II of England for the purpose of trade and settlement in the Hudson Bay region of North America and for exploration toward the discovery of the Northwest Passage to Asia.
..... Click the link for more information.
 in 1670. Later called Fort Rupert, Rupert's House, Rupert House, or Rupert's River, the post was captured by the French in 1686 and alternately held by the French and British until the Peace of UtrechtUtrecht, Peace of,
series of treaties that concluded the War of the Spanish Succession. It put an end to French expansion and signaled the rise of the British Empire. By the treaty between England and France (Apr.
..... Click the link for more information.
 (1713) restored it permanently to the Hudson's Bay Company. The Rupert House store was the Hudson's Bay Company's oldest trading post. The store was sold in 1987, along with the rest of the Hudson's Bay Company's Northern Stores division. The village is now known by its Cree name, Waskaganish.